Friday, July 19, 2013

Just some thoughts I wanted to get down. I had an amazing institute teacher make a statement once that has really stuck with me. The class was the first half of the Old Testament and we were learning about Abraham. Specifically, we were learning about the sacrifice of Isaac. After Abraham showed his faith in this trial that he was given he received great blessings. In fact, in Genesis 22:17-18 he is promised: “I will multiply they seed as the stars of heaven and as the sand which is upon the sea shore… and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed”. Really, what more can people desire? Our teacher then went on to say that he felt that everyone would one day be tested with an Abrahamic trial in their lives. That doesn’t mean we will all be asked to sacrifice a child. It will be different for each person and it will be the hardest thing we will be asked to endure. And it will most likely hit your weakest point or at a time you already feel stretched to the limit. It is supposed to be that hard. It seems unfair, right? But, what blessings await us if we make it through this trial faithfully? Heavenly Father is a God of Justice and Mercy and the blessings at the end will equal it all out. 

Now for the real thoughts bouncing around in my head. I’m so grateful for my family. And I’m not just talking about my immediate family, but right now my extended family. There are some who have already had their Abrahamic tests. Some of them I have my guesses as to when and what they were. Some I will never know. Some of them may be going through it right now, whether it is due to a spouse, child, grandchild or themselves. We don’t always know about others. What I do know is that I am in a family that has the gospel. We can ask for family fasts and prayers. We can call each other up for priesthood blessings. We can put each other’s names on the temple prayer rolls. We can do all of this for each other and for this I am so grateful. I admire those in the gospel who are the only members in their family. They are strong and courageous and I’m sure they receive amazing blessings for their faith. But I wouldn’t want to be them. This support and strength I get from my family is what I need. I hope that my family out there who are going through these difficult times know that they can lean on us. Because we have all chosen to be a part of this gospel we have more people that just our immediate family we can turn to in these times of need for we are all bound together eternally. Don’t be afraid to turn to us and lean on us. Don’t try to go it alone but allow us to do our family duty. The family proclamation says that extended family is to help when needed and I really feel, deep down, that this spiritual strength is where extended family can help the most. 

While I have been through some difficult moments, I often find myself wondering what my Abrahamic test will be. I don’t believe I have had it yet. It scares me to think of what it will be. But I am grateful to know that I will have more than just the support of my family… I will have their testimonies, prayers and spiritual strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment